Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, August 10, 2012

Die Organization & Storage Ideas

Last month when I shared my paper storage ideas I had many requests asking to see how I store my die's.  So today I'm going to show you how I do it.  To make things easier for you, I have provided links within this post and along my sidebar on the right, to all of the products I use.

Like many of you, I have quite the little die collection....my love for dies is only second to my love of paper pads.  :)   A few years back I was keeping my Spellbinders dies in a zippered CD binder.  I never liked it, it was big and UGLY.  So, I went on a mission to find something that would not only look nice but would be functional as well.  

I found these...

These are American Covers faux leather bound CD binders.  I LOVE everything about it them!! 
First, they look like books, so that won me over right there.  ;)  The size is perfect (8 1/4" x 11"), it is a 3-ring binder system so it's expandable, and they hold a LOT!!  I currently have three and only one is completely full.  Each binder is designed to hold 288 CD....that equals a lot of die storage!!!  :)  The CD insert pages are included with the binders.  I have seen the binders sold at Staples for around $17 each or you can get them at Amazon where they are sold in a set of 3 for $45.

Here's a look at the inside and how things are organized.


This binder holds all of my MFT Die-namics.  On the left you can see one of the empty plastic pouch that I use for storing smaller dies and border dies.  (Click photo to enlarge).  These Binder Pouches are available at Amazon.  I cannot even begin to tell you just how much I LOVE these pouches!!  They are strong, durable and very affordable at only $1.49 each.  Each pouch as four (4) interior compartments.  There are 3 pockets that I use for sorting/storing my smaller dies and the larger front pocket holds my longer border dies.  The entire pouch zips locks close so I don't have to worry about anything falling out.  I label each compartment with the name of the die inside so I always know where to put things back.  


I store all of my larger die sets such as Spellbinders and MFT Dia-namic Stax on magnetic sheets cut to size (4 1/2" x 4 1/2") to fit into the CD pockets.  I always buy my magnet sheets at Home Depot (or other home improvement/hardware stores) which are actually just magnetic vent covers that come in packs of 3 for $3.00.   


Here you can see the way I store the MFT Oval Stax Die-namics on the right and the much larger dies such as the Fishtail Banners on the left.  The binder pouch shown previously, would also easily hold those larger sized dies in the larger front pocket/compartment of the pouch.  (Which I've since moved my Fishtail dies there....I was afraid that smallest size banner was going to fall out and get lost.)

Since my die storage solution  look just like leather bound books, it's not so bad if they don't make it back into the crafty closet...I can leave them sitting out and nobody knows that my crafty goodies are actually inside!!  :)     Now, if I could only use the drawers in the chest for some crafty storage too, but that is where the kids keep all of their video games and controllers.  LOL :)
Well, I hope you've enjoyed taking a peek at my die storage and maybe saw something that could work for you too.



Thanks so much for stopping by!!


8 comments:

Rachel Parys said...

This is weird, I just bought a pack of those vent covers last weekend!! lol! Didn't use them for anything half as cool as that, but what a handy giant magnet!!! Thanks for sharing this idea!

Mary J said...

Thx for sharing Wendy! I use a CD case to hold my dies but I never thought to use magnetic sheets in them - that would hold them in place much better!

Sheri Gilson said...

Thanks so much for sharing Wendy!! I too have been using the zip around CD cases and dislike them because they are so bulky. Just ordered the three pack & a bunch of the pouches to get converted!! :)

Sally said...

What a fab des, thanks for sharing.......I will keep that thought for future reference.
Hugs Sally xxx

Tracy Valure said...

I went shopping a couple nights ago and bought these...great idea. I just need to get some of the magnetic sheets now!! ;-)

Kim O'Connell said...

Genius! I am SO copying this!

Kim O'Connell said...

Just bought this today AND the magnetic vent cover! Told you I was copying this!

Unknown said...

Do you still have these pouches??? I had a few of these a long time ago, and i have been searching the internet for them, but it looks like they are out of stock everywhere D:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...