Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Thoughts of You



Hi Everyone!!  Happy Sunday!

If I'm posting on a Sunday then that means that I'm designing for Paper Sundae's this week!!
  This week's challenge is to color your image using your favorite hair color combo.  It doesn't have to be Copic's, any medium will do...Promarkers, Prismacolor pencils, Distressing inks you name it.

I've of course used my Copic's.  I'm sure most of you have noticed that when I'm coloring hair (boys or girls) I tend to do brunette.  And my favorite hair color combo was put together purely by accident... I was trying to find my perfect blonde.  LOL   I still haven't found my perfect blonde so if you have a combo that you love...please leave me a comment and share yours with me!!

My colors are:  E50, E31, E35, E25

 I've had a few requests lately to share some tips on my coloring so I thought this would be a great time to talk about how I color hair.  Of course there are as many techniques as their are colorists, so by no means is my way the best, etc.  

  When I list the Copics that I've used, I always list them in the order that I use them.  And I always color dark to light.  The only exception to that is when I'm coloring hair.  (So you will see that I've listed my colors starting with the lightest color)  When coloring hair I do this because it's more difficult for me to "see" where I want my light/shine to be so this keeps me from messing up.  LOL  I completely color in the hair with E50 (the lightest color).  After choosing my light source I color the hair in sections.   First I find the known darker places first.  Such as the crown of the head, around headbands or bows, closest to the face or body, and flowing hair that has bends to it such as curls.  With the remaining colors I use soft and short flicking strokes with the tip of my marker...always going with the direction of the hair.  And if you ever find that you've not left enough light when you're coloring don't worry...just add MORE dark.  It will make the light/shine look lighter. And remember with hair it's perfectly okay to have lines in your coloring you really don't want to blend too much. The lines will appear as strands of hair and give your image a more realistic look.  But if you do like the hair colors to be blended...just remember to leave distinct lighter areas, that will give the hair more depth and bring it to life.

I've used a digital image from from Wee Stamps, Sweet Blossom.  She's just precious!!  I had to have her because I love the way that hair is blowing in the wind and her little crossed ankles.  Too CUTE!!   I've also colored her using Cryogen White cardstock. (It has a hint of shimmer in the paper) The DP is from My Mind's Eye, Quite Contrary collection, Little Miss Muffet.  I've used Spellbinder's Labels 10 and Classic Oval for the image panel which is popped up using foam tape.  Her blouse was sparkled using Shimmerz and Stickles together to create a very sheer appearance.  Tiny rhinestones were added to her headband and blouse for just a little more bling!!  :)


Challenges:
Ai Factory = #78 Anything Goes
CCEE Stampers = #117 Add a butterfly
Charisma Cards = #17 April Showers/May Flowers
Southern Girls = Green & Blue
Amber's Crafts & Stuff = #7 Use a digital stamp


I hope you will take a moment to view the Sundae Girls fantastic design team samples and link your project using your favorite hair color combo.



Thanks so much for stopping by!!



26 comments:

Piali said...

So pretty Wendy!!! Love the sweet image and your coloring rocks as always!!
Hugs~

Kim O'Connell said...

And here's the card you you were talking about last week that you hadn't yet revealed! LOVE IT! I am going to have to try the shimmerz and stickles mixture. It is so beautiful!

Alica said...

Absolutely adorable! She's so cute and your coloring made her even more so! Love the shimmery dress and her hair too! Thanks for the coloring tips!

Anonymous said...

Oh she's absolutely adorable Wendy!! Love your coloring and fabulous layout hun!! Happy May Day!! :)

Trina said...

Fabulous coloring! This is such a sweet card!

Crystal said...

THANK YOU so much for your colouring tips Wendy! I'm telling you that every time I see one of your cards my jaw drops in amazement! Your colouring is always fabulous & I look forward to seeing what you come up with next. The combo of Shimmerz/Stickles looks so pretty I will definitely be trying that & I love your stitching, layout & adorable little butterfly!

Fiona said...

wow...this is soooo pretty. I think I prefer brunettes too...I seem to be able to make a better job of that. I love her little sparkly dress and those little gems that you slipped in!!

Fi
x

Caroline said...

Super job again!! Thanks for the colouring tips - those are ALWAYS appreciated! Your shimmer technique is awesome!!

Paula (PEP) said...

That's so interesting about your order of colouring & the way you list the Copics - I shall return to this. Love those rhinestones & I too like the way her ankles are crossed. That sparkly top is superb too & I love how that little creature is snuggled up to her.
Paula (PEP)

Shelby Goolsby said...

So cute and pretty Wendy!! You used my favorite stamp:)I have been trying to figure out how to use her on my header. I love the papers and pretty stitching. How do you keep your stickles from not running on the digis? Maybe it is the printer but I have given up using them and I miss my shimmer.

Kate said...

What a precious, precious image!! I love, love, love this card, Wendy!! I wish I could get a colouring lesson from you in person. You make it sound so easy!!

Anonymous said...

This is so gorgeous, Wendy! She is beautiful and you've done such a wonderful job with your colouring and shimmery blouse! The green and blue look great together (looks like sky and grass)! This card totally rocks, girlie! You've won my heart!
Hugs,
Sharon

Dana said...

What an adorable wee lass!! I agree,, she is simply precious! I may have to give your shimmerz and stickles recipe a try because it is stunning!!
Hugs~
Dana

Brandie said...

Who knew your childhood talent of coloring would progress to so much more as adult. You always did out color me ;) I love you!! Card is great as always!!

Natasha said...

Amazing job! I love your coloring of the image. Thanks for playing along at Amber's Crafts and Stuff.

Natasha

Denise Marzec said...

I seriously lose track of time studying your coloring. I WISH I could color hair like you. Love the sparkle on the wings and that pretty butterfly, too!

~Jeri~ said...

So adorable Wendy!! Love how you put the shimmerz on the shirt...such a sweet touch! Love the papers too!! You always put such great papers together that I would never think to work with!! Thanks for that! Great stitching also!!!

Anne Temple said...

Lots to love about this card. Fantastic coloring and shading - great hair totorial too. So glad you joined us for the Anything Goes challenge at AiFactory this week.

scrapn_momof2 said...

This is absolutely sweet. The image is darling and so beautifully colored. I agree with Jeri, you always have such great papers working together on your cards. Love the little bit of shimmer on her outfit.

EVIL twin said...

Precious! Thanks for joining our challenge at Amber's Crafts & Stuff.

((april))

Kerri said...

Oh she is so CUTE!!! LOVE your gorgeous coloring and your wonderful tips! I still have such a hard time with hair, and I always want to blend everything! I'll have to try this and see if I can do it:)

coldwaters2 said...

Oh Wendy this is absolutely beautiful, that image is delightful and your colouring is awesome, I adore the papers, colours and design this looks wonderful and thank you for the colouring tip.
Hugs
Lorraine x

Kazza said...

She is adorable and I can see why you wanted that image!!Your colouring is fabulous and thanks so much for the hair colour guide. Much appreciated. Congrats on your win here at Southern Girls. Karenxx

Scrappychick said...

Gorgeous card, precious image, and beautiful coloring!
Cyndi

Made by Mandy said...

What an adorable image and your colouring is just WOW. I use Promarkers and I just mastered shading but not the light source bit so your tips on colouring hair are brilliant, Thankyou.


Many thanks for joining in with our Anything Goes challenge at AI Factory.

Mandy (DT member for AI Factory Challenge)

Sylvia Zet said...

Brilliant....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...